Valentines Day is fast approaching. It is a day that gives us an opportunity (or a reminder that does not involve violence from a girlfriend) to show our feelings to that special someone through the giving of the traditional gifts of cards, chocolates and flowers. It also gives some people the excuse to display their feelings with Pepé Le Pew style acts of affection. However, this is not always advised since it seems only cartoon skunks can get away with such things with out receiving a restraining order. Valentines Day is also the perfect time to make a romantic proposal of marriage to that special someone.
Maybe the idea of marriage sounds scarier to you then riding a roller coaster while under going open heart surgery by an unqualified doctor who does not believe in anaesthetic but in Amsterdam you can not use that as an excuse. On Valentines Day it is possible to get married for just one night in Amsterdam.
The Wed & Walk event (Link) gives love ones, friends and even random people the chance to get married for just one night. The service starts at 6pm and the resulting legal marriage dissolves when the sun rises. The wedding includes a ring (with plastic gem), wedding confetti, a wedding Polaroid photo and even champagne.
This might sound like a strange idea but there are a lot of benefits to this short marriage:
– You only have to put up with your parents in law for one evening.
– If you need a new kitchen appliance but can’t afford it, get married just for the wedding gifts. No one said you have to give them back at the end.
– People who believe in no sex before marriage can have their cake and eat it.
– Your nagging mother who keeps on demanding you get married before 30 will no longer be able to have a go at you (technically). However, this will not stop her demanding grand children unless you have a very accommodating one night wife/husband or you start grabbing children off the street and claiming them as your own.
– If your partner meets with an ‘accident’ during your few hours of marriage you can claim some of their stuff. This is a great idea if they own a few CDs you really like.
– It gives people who are already married a chance to try out being a bigamist.
– If your husband or wife to be leaves you at the alter there is no need to fret. Just grab a random person off the street to be joined with in holy matrimony. You won’t have to put up with them for long.
– If your girlfriend has been nagging at you to make an honest woman of her you can do so. Just don’t tell her the marriage dissolves the next morning and hope she is that gullible.
– The marriage dissolves before your new wife can complain about the amount of time you spend sitting in front of the TV watching sports.
– The marriage dissolves before your new husband can complain about the amount of time you spend standing in front of the TV while he is trying to watch sports.
So… Will You Marry Me?