1) The Netherlands sometimes goes by the name Holland for tax reasons.
2) Holland is not below sea level. The sea is above Holland level.
3) The word ‘gezellig’ was successfully translated into English in 1982 but the Dutch government covered it up.
4) Everyone in Holland wears clogs. The sound of thousands of people walking in wooden shoes on the city’s concrete streets is deafening.
5) Tulips have become intelligent and are slowly taking over the country one field at a time.
6) Everyone in Holland lives in a windmill… apart from those who don’t… who aren’t really Dutch.
7) The Dutch consider hills to be as mythical as unicorns and fairies. They laugh at anyone with such geological beliefs.
8) None of the cannabis in Amsterdam is real. Tourists are getting stoned by the placebo effect.
9) If you drain all the canals of Amsterdam you will find the remains of an ancient lost city (and a lot of bikes) underneath.
10) The reclaiming of land from the sea is mainly down to the Dutch being very OCD.
11) Dutch drop was first invented as a way of uncovering German spies during World War II. It was the uncontrollable facial expressions of shock and horror upon experiencing the extreme salty taste that identified them as not being Dutch.
12) Raw herring was first served in Holland due to a miss translation in a cookbook. Since then it has become hugely popular throughout the entire country. No one has had the heart to point out the mistake to the Dutch.
Want to read some fake facts about the English? Check out the list of Awfully British Fake Facts.